[filmscanners] Notes on VueScan 7.5b1

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Notes on VueScan 7.5b1
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:36:07 -0500

Comments and questions for Ed, or anyone else who is interested.

Environment:

Mac G4/867, 1.5 GB RAM, VM off
Mac OS 9.2.2
Nikon LS-4000

While scanning slides, I saw a couple of unexpected application quits
with error ID 2.  When I opened the program for the first time, it
crashed when I closed the opening splash screen.  In another session it
saved some scans but crashed when I switched back to VS after working in
another application.  In both cases, Firewire connectivity was hosed
after these crashes.  I had to restart my computer in order for VS to see
my scanner.  Another crash: I scanned a neg and VS froze my Mac after
filling the preview display with a random pattern of black horizontal and
vertical lines.

The "Device | Batch scan" and "Device | Frame number" controls did not
always appear.  When I loaded a neg strip in my film strip adaptor
(SA-21), I sometimes needed to force several updates of the Device tab
before I see these controls.  This might be related to corruption in the
.ini file.

If I hit the directory selecting button for "Files | Default folder" it
brings up the normal dialog but there is no "Save" button.  There is only
a "Cancel" button and an "Open" button to burrow into folders.

"Prefs | Animate crop box" enables animation of the focus marker, but not
the crop rectangle.

I clicked on the focus marker in the Preview display (to move it), and
the marker jumped to another position on the image.  It followed my mouse
dragging, but relative to its shifted position, not under the cross
cursor.  This happened with "Prefs | Animate crop box" enabled, and
"Device | Rotation = Left".

The documentation has no description for "Prefs | Preview memory" and
"Prefs | Scan memory."  Defaults are 50MB for both, but I was able to
acquire and save a >100MB scan.  What is the significance of these
controls?

Control list in Prefs tab has finally grown long enough to bring up a
scrollbar on my monitor.  When the scrollbar is moved to either limit,
controls are not clipped correctly.  Parts of controls are drawn over the
tab labels, or over the buttons at the bottom of the window.  Sometimes
parts of controls are not erased when the window updates after a scroll.

I think I understand the function of "Prefs | Min dimension", but I still
do not understand the meaning of the control's name, or the numbers that
it takes.  Can anyone explain this?

I have "Prefs | External viewer" enabled, and "Prefs | Viewer" set to
Photoshop.  Scan files are written with the correct creator type and
icon.  But VS does not automatically cause Photoshop to open these files
after a scan.  This feature worked correctly for me in at least one
version of VS (shortly after the feature was introduced).  But I have not
seen it work in any of the VS versions I have tried in recent weeks.  I
tried the usual remedies for file/app association problems: rebuilding
Desktop files, examining the file mappings in "Internet Preferences" file
(accessed through Internet control panel, or File Exchange control
panel), trashing and rebuilding the "Internet Preferences" and "File
Exchange Preferences" files).  Are any other users of VS for Mac OS 8/9
seeing this?

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>