RE: filmscanners: Nikon Scan 3.1.1 ?

James,

Hi. What were the OS's you had no problems with?  You mention running
NikonScan on 10 different machines.  Were these single or dual CPU, and
were any or all of them Windows 2000?

Looking forward to more details, so others can duplicate your success -
most people (85% of feedback I received) find NikonScan 3.1 crashes
under Windows 2000, for both dual and single CPU machines.

So far, I have tried NikonScan 3.1 / 4000ED on 3 different Windows 2000
machines,
all dual CPU machines. All with different motherboards & associated
drivers, all with both original and latest drives. None of the systems
work for more than a photo or two without crashing NikonScan. They all used
the standard Firewire card that came with the scanner, which uses drivers
supplied with Windows.

While I am here:
A quick thanks to everyone who provided detailed information for testing.
I am wrapping up final testing, on the final test machine, then will respond
with an overall summary to the list next week, with my experiences and
the responses I received from others.

As a quick summary so far from what I and others have seen:
NikonScan 3.1 crashes under W2K unless:
-       You run a single CPU 500Mhz or slower or
-       If you have a slow dual CPU machine (350Mhz or slower) or
-       You save files to a network drive instead of local [one person
        reported this worked great - I have yet to duplicate success]
-       If you run the scanning software inside Photoshop, and scan
        a single negative at a time, it will generally work (because
        the scanner software is restarted for each photo?)

Essentially, NikonScan 3.1 does not run under Windows 2000 with:
-       Any form of batch scanning, with the possible exception of
        saving to a network drive
-       Any fast machine
-       Particularly bad news under dual CPU machines, but also fails
        on fast single CPU machines

So far, my impression is that VueScan has a bright future in front of
it, given Nikon's appalling application software.

Regards

Stuart

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.