Nikon filmscanners: LS-40/4000 without "lo-cont" prescan settings? Usable for negatives?

Hi everybody,

sorry for the long-winded subject. My inbox file crashed some days ago,
but I remember this issue to have been dealt with in a previous thread.
However, I think it is so serious that I found it worth starting a
thread on its own. So, here we go:

When I bought my LS-30, I first found it impossible to get decent
highlights out of negatives with Nikon Scan 2.0 and later 2.5. They
would inexorably produce blown-out highlights, no matter what the color
management, auto adjust and analog gain settings were. Vuescan would fix
the problem but, with its poor implementation of ICE, not allow me to
scan my old negatives properly.

By accident, after some days of frustration, I found a menu called
"prescan mode" in the "scanner extras" section and tried "alternative"
instead of "normal" (NS 2.5 and later: "lo-cont" instead of "auto") and
just couldn't believe my eyes because this well-hidden menu item was the
one that brought my LS-30 to usability, which meant no blown highlights
whatsoever.

Now, I remember from the messages I lost that this menu item has been
cancelled with the LS-40 as well as the LS-4000. Is this really true
and, if yes, does it mean the return of blown out highlights without any
remedy? 95% of my animal pictures are on negative film, and my LS-30
won't last forever. Will I have to get another LS-30 then, or a LS-2000,
instead of one of the newer models in order to get good negative scans?
I am really confused because the LS-30 won't be available forever,
neither will the LS-2000. I am even thinking of getting another unit
although my present one works fine, just in case it breaks down some day
and all those LS-40 and LS-4000 come with those built-in blown-out
highlights.

Greetings from Germany -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.