Re: filmscanners: Selecting a scanner

John Rylatt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> FYI, I am in the US.
>
> Re the Polaroid 4000, I had a friend do a scan of a K64 test slide that I
>purchased many
> years ago. This slide has a black fabric background. A ball of white wool in
>front of the
> backgound exhibited a flare effect not present on the slide.

Flare in a film scanner can be due to a number of factors.  Obviously,
it can be a design issue, but often it has to do with residue built up
on the optical path (lenses, mirrors, CCD, etc).  This can occur if the
scanner is in an environment that has smoke, (cigarette or cooking), or
there is condensation of water due to temperature differentials, etc.

Might be worth getting a second scan with another unit to check if that
problem is consistent.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.