filmscanners: Re: Further report on dust removal problem in LS4000/MiKael,David, Roger

Several people have written stating that the excessive amount of dust that
appears when using the Nikon Super coolscan 4000 is not a function of dust
within the scanner but is due intrinsic to the design of the scanner.  The
Nikon uses an LED light source which seems to accentuate dust, junk, and
scratches considerably more than does a scanner with a cool cathode or
fluorescent tube, making it essential to have a program like ICE to remove
it.   Since this is the only scanner I've used, I have no way of knowing
what I'd find on other 4000dpi scanners.  I do know that I've had many Photo
CD's made, and on those I could easily clear up the dust using Photoshop's
Rubber Stamp, something that is much, much harder to do on the LS 4000.
Considering all this, I intend to return the Nikon and get a Polaroid SS
4000.

Martin

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.