Re: Nikon filmscanners: LS-40/4000 without "lo-cont" prescan settings? Usable for negatives?

Ralf,

Your experience is mine exactly.  As I said in my post a couple of days
ago, the Nikonscan 3 manual definitely says that lo-cont is available on
the older scanners only LS2000/30.  Not available on the LS4000 / 40.

I don't know if this means you get blown highlights with them, or whether
they think they have fixed the problem some other way.  I am waiting on an
answer to this from Nikon and hopefully Jack ASF Phipps.

Cheers,

Julian

At 18:37 09/09/01, you wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>sorry for the long-winded subject. My inbox file crashed some days ago,
>but I remember this issue to have been dealt with in a previous thread.
>However, I think it is so serious that I found it worth starting a
>thread on its own. So, here we go:
>
>When I bought my LS-30, I first found it impossible to get decent
>highlights out of negatives with Nikon Scan 2.0 and later 2.5. They
>would inexorably produce blown-out highlights, no matter what the color
>management, auto adjust and analog gain settings were. Vuescan would fix
>the problem but, with its poor implementation of ICE, not allow me to
>scan my old negatives properly.
>
>By accident, after some days of frustration, I found a menu called
>"prescan mode" in the "scanner extras" section and tried "alternative"
>instead of "normal" (NS 2.5 and later: "lo-cont" instead of "auto") and
>just couldn't believe my eyes because this well-hidden menu item was the
>one that brought my LS-30 to usability, which meant no blown highlights
>whatsoever.
>
>Now, I remember from the messages I lost that this menu item has been
>cancelled with the LS-40 as well as the LS-4000. Is this really true
>and, if yes, does it mean the return of blown out highlights without any
>remedy? 95% of my animal pictures are on negative film, and my LS-30
>won't last forever. Will I have to get another LS-30 then, or a LS-2000,
>instead of one of the newer models in order to get good negative scans?
>I am really confused because the LS-30 won't be available forever,
>neither will the LS-2000. I am even thinking of getting another unit
>although my present one works fine, just in case it breaks down some day
>and all those LS-40 and LS-4000 come with those built-in blown-out
>highlights.
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Greetings from Germany -
>
>Ralf
>
>--
>My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
>Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers
>(use "TrustCenter" certified keys only)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.