Re: filmscanners: Why not sRGB ?

Steve wrote (accurately):

>It all seems to be a bit of a mess. We have one set of colours for each of
>the following:
>
>1) scanner
>2) monitor
>3) printer
>4) human eye -  which is uncalibrated and has wild variations from one too
>another.
>
>None of them match up - each has some colours that are not seen by other
>devices/people. We then have an artificial mediator in the middle (the
>processing colour space eg Adobe RGB) which also has colours that are not
>seen by any of the other 4 and the 4) also have colours that can not be
>represented by the processing colour space. We then do 8 bit conversions
>(theres bound to be some inaccuracy here) from one colour space to another
>where neither can represent the other in it's entirety.

When I mentioned that a year ago, I got a nice collection of fruit,
vegetables, and other brickbats thrown at me. ;-)

AISI, unless one has a dedicated system nicely formatted for one (and only
one) type of workflow, as do many shops that specialize in Mac- or
PC-generated printing, working between one type of presentation to several
others--as might be common in non-specialized applications--presents more
profiling problems than the apps might be worth!

I unashamedly use sRGB, even though I *know* other CM systems have a wider
color gamut. It gives me more time for fishing and other "life pursuits,"
and keeps my computer-chair from permanently attatching itself to my butt.
;-)

Best regards--LRA