From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
To: Filmscanners <Filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: May 19, 2001 3:42:17 PM GMT
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Filmscanning vs. Flatbedding

on 5/19/01 8:30 AM, Steve Greenbank at steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk wrote:

> See this :
>
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/diginews/2001-05/2001_05_17_dcs_760.html
>
> and in particular this :   (be warned it's 1.4M)
>
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/dcs760_bw_portrait.jpg

well, it's very very sharp and grain free.

but the tonality is HIDEOUS. It looks like a grab from a video picture. Look
at the highlights on the hair. Agh. Is this progress?

run! very fast! in the opposite direction!

I could do substantially better with my super speed graphic, a 50 year old
lens, some APX 100 and a jug of Xtol.

tone! tone! tone!

obviously that camera can do a bazillion wunnerful things but film has a few
tricks up its sleeve yet methinks.
--
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com