Re: filmscanners: Grain in Color negative Film

----- Original Message -----
From: Roman Kielich® <panromek@bigpond.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Grain in Color negative Film

> At 09:53 23/03/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >It depends on processor and chemistry QC & maintenence also, and
this
> >contributes to widely varying processing quality even though the
exact
> >same chemistry may be loaded initially.
>
> assuming fixed temperature and time, the only variable is CD
replenishment.

That's a big one!  And machines that aren't well maintained are much
more likely to scratch film.

> >Also mini-labs may use 3rd
> >party concoctions that aren't as good as Kodak or Fuji.
>
> I am not aware of any 3rd party stuff being worse than Kodak, Fuji,
Agfa,
> Konica, the only problem would be with small pack kits from
independent
> manufacturers (that sort that suppose to process both paper and negs
in one
> soup).
> I have official formulae for C41/AP70/Fuji with methods to analyse
> processing solutions, from major manufacturers. The only difference
may be
> with sequestering agent. The rest: CD4, carbonate, sulfite, bromide,
> hydroxylamine, iodide are the same.

I'm not interested in the recipie, I'm interested in the food, and, to
use the hoary old cliche, the proof is in the puddin.  There are other
3rd party formulations out there, or at least there used to be, and
some of them are apt to be different from each other.  They certainly
are for E-6 and RA-4.

> >   If you're
> >after quality go to the best lab you can find.  The film will be
run
> >in machines with better temp control, better handling, etc., and
> >maintained by techs, not school kids working part time.  It's the
most
> >critical step after shooting, if you want best quality don't skimp
at
> >this stage.
>
> that's true, but affects handling (dirt, scratches), sometimes films
are
> underdeveloped due to under-replenishment or faulty machine. The
same may
> happen to profi lab.

Not likely if you're at a good one, and that's the main point.

Perhaps you've never seen variations in C-41 processing quality
(including grain size) first hand?  There's no absolute reason a
mini-lab couldn't produce state of the art results, but personally I
wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.