Re: filmscanners: Repro house skirmishing (long)

Tony:  I have used a new service at my local lab which recently obtained a
Noritsu
dig. printer.  Instead of providing a disk, I gave them slides because I did not
realize that they would run them through a dig. machine.  The prints came out
abnout 1/3 under the desired exposure but with good detail.  Rather than fight
the
repro house, I would suggest you use the Noritsu place to get the print from
your
disk.  However, I would try to work a deal with the lab to allow you to run
tests
on your disk to be able to determine the tweaks necessary to get the prints the
way
you want them to be.  You may have to give them disks that have different
exposures
and contrasts, etc. from what you would use if you were going to print them on
your
own printer.  This way you would have a "methodology" that would provide the
optimal Noritsu print.  E.g.  alway send them a disk that has a +5 brightness a
+2
contrast, any color balance settings, etc. based on what you tweak your scan
output
to achieve the best on your screen.  With that done, you may be able to satisfy
both client and repro house.  This suggestion may be a "pain" to implement, may
not
give the desired results, but it may, if it works, be able to reduce the
"aaaargh"
level you are having.

I hope I have not been condescending.  I am not a pro photographer or scanner
and I
want to be sure that I am getting my point across.

Good luck with your repro problem.

Gordon

Gordon

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.