Re: filmscanners: Repro house skirmishing (long)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:21:00 -0500  Larry Berman (larry@bermanart.com) wrote:

> Have you thought of getting one of the Epson printers and doing your own
> prints to submit, either for repro, or at least for guides? I'm sure there
> are enough knowledgeable people on this forum to give you the (OT) pros and
> cons of creating your own proof prints.

I have and use an Epson 1200. It's very good, but I'm not entirely happy with
it - there are some sharp discontinuities in the gamut, and skin tones can
sometimes appear wrong. But I am also uncertain about how halftone screening
for repro might interfere with the dither pattern.

> What about LightJet prints? If you can profile your scanned digital files
> so no proofing is needed it might be a viable option. I know my lab in the
> states can do an overnight if I pay the premium.

The files are profiled, as is my whole workflow. Lightjet seem to have a good
rep in the US, but I've never seen one nor heard of anyone in UK offering them,
though Durst have a similar technology but I don't know of anyone using it.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons