[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

Art,

There was a depth of focus formula in the American Cinematographer
Handbook that was gospel until proven wrong. The depth of focus, given
a  specific blur circle size, is a trig function of the cone angle Tan
½Angle = .5 x f#  ÷ Lens Focal Length.  Without special pressure plates
or vacuum plates, the film bow in 35mm cameras is typically .003".  2¼
square format cameras have film sag that ranges from about .006" to
.010".  At large apertures, these dimensions can make a significant
difference in image sharpness.

The flatbed scanners that I'm familiar with have great depth of field,
suggesting the lenses have very small apertures. However, image
sharpness degrades as the lens aperture is reduced.  I'm not sure what
this effect is with flatbed scanners, because each lens is recording one
element of the image per increment.

Jim