[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

I suspect the "generations" effect is why it takes less resolution in a
DSLR to be equivalent to film. That is, the EOS-1Ds Mark II, at
16Mpixels, is considered to be as good as scanned film, which generally
exceeds 30MPixels.

I saw a website that compared drum to a dedicated film scanner, with the
claim that you really don't get the full stated resolution with a film
scanner.