[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography
  • From: "Berry Ives" <yvesberia@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:05:33 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 03:05:42 +0100

That's fine.  But there are thousands of professional and serious amateur
photographers out there that do not have that restriction.  I shot 4x5 for a
while, and there is no denying the beauty of large format for certain types
of images.  I discovered a small spider web once on a barb of a wire fence
that I had not noticed in the original landscape, when I printed it at
16x20.  There's something to be said for that, especially if one is printing
fairly large.

But what I do now does not depend on that level of resolution.  I can print
up to 12x16 using Oly E-1 image files, with low-level unsharp mask, and they
look very sharp.  Much of this is macro work, which is perceived differently
in that great detail is already possible without large format.  I'm happy
not to have to hike out into the desert and pack some very hefty camera to
do that.  I'm fine with the 4/3's sensor, and I await the next generation of
the E-1, which is a very solid camera.  While I recognize that the sensor
size is a limiting factor, in general, there are other limiting factors,
such as there were with film, e.g., lack of flatness of the film.  I think
that time will favor the 4/3's sensor in the context of all the other
limiting factors in what makes makes possible a good photograph.  And of
course none of this addresses the most crucial aspect of all, as you know,
the creativity of the photographer...subject matter, composition, etc.

We've all got our own gigs.

Berry