[filmscanners] RE: film and scanning vs digital photography

> This isn't quite accurate.  Digital Sensors actually use analogue
> sensors.  They then translate the information via an A/D converter, to
> a digital entity which is then either saved as is or further processed as
> a JPEG.

Technically we are in agreement; I oversimplified in order to avoid
confusion.  The image information is transmitted from the lens to the
analogue sensors to an A/D where it is converted into digital data, which is
then further processed and saved as a standard image file format like JPEG
or TIFF.  This represents a first generation capture and is equivalent to
capturing the image information to film, which is also a first generation
capture in my terminology.

When one scans film or prints, one is doing something similar to what one
does when one captures image information with a digital camera; only this
time one is capturing already captured analog image information that was
captured on film or in a print and digitalizing the previously captured
analog information, which makes this capture a second generation capture in
my terminology.

Hope this clarifies things and suggests that we are not in disagreement.