[filmscanners] RE: large scanning project

I may have responded to Tony's post on this a little too quickly without
giving his post a real close reading; as a result, I glossed over some
of the issues in my reply saying he was essentially correct, as I
understand it.

You are correct in suggesting that the core native device drivers for a
supported scanner need to be installed and locatable via the registry
before VS or anything else can speak to the device.  What Ed did (and I
read Tony to be referring to) was to be able to bypass the use of twain
drivers by placing calls to the ASPI layer when contacting the native
device driver and having his software speak to and with the device from
within his software.  In so doing, VS is able to communicate with the
device via its device driver without employing or calling up the
associated OEM scanner software that is connected to the OEM's device
driver.  Thus, you can operate the scanner from within VS using VS and
not the OEM scanning software that comes with or is incorporated in the
OEM native device driver.

The question here - again - is whether or not there is an ASPI layer
available that is written in or supports 64 bit architecture and if
there are core native 64 bit device drivers for the device available
beneath the ASPI layer.