[filmscanners] RE: large scanning project

GEM, ROC, and SHO are all software programs and are not reliant on
hardware, firmware, or device drivers. As long as the program employs 64
bit architecture specification so that it is recognized and compatible
with 64 bit operating systems in a 64 bit machine, it will work
regardless of the device driver.  However, if you are talking about the
OEM peripherals implementation of that software, it typically is a
component to the driver software and both come inseparably as part of
the OEM scanner software.

ICE on the other hand is hardware dependent and requires compatible
hardware components and 64 bit firmware in addition to 64 bit device
drivers and scanning software to work in a 64 bit OS based computer.
You cannot install or make use of ICE on scanners that do not support it
in terms of the hardware and firmware even if you have an independent
software application for governing ICE installed on a computer.

The key appears to be that few software applications and programs which
are written with 32 bit architecture will run on or is supported by a
system that uses a 64 bit OS with 64 bit hardware components and
configurations.  Most software programs and applications need to be 64
bit applications and programs to work in said systems.  Many new systems
today may have 64 bit CPUs and 64 bit supported motherboards; but they
are still using 32 bit OSs and operating in 32 bit mode.  On those
systems there probably will be no differences to be noticed in the
performance of ICE, ROC, GEM, and/or SHO or the like except those which
may accrue from the difference in the CPUs speed in terms of MHz and
clock speeds of the RAM even if they have 64 bit CPUs and compatible
motherboards.