From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of
ppatton@bgnet.bgsu.edu
Sent: 30 May 2006 04:29
To: john@sykesj.co.uk
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: large scanning project

>Any reason you left the Dimage 5400 II off the list?

I just did a bit of investigation of this scanner and discovered that
although it has some impressive features, Konica-Minolta is going out of
business.  It is only still available in a few places, but is available
at a very good price.  If I do get it, I will probably need to act
quickly, rather than do careful research.  Any opinions on this scanner?
Should I snap one up quickly, before they are gone, or let it pass?
Like the Nikon Coolscan V ED, the reviews seem to be very mixed with
some people loving it, and others having lots of problems.  The reviews
on Nikon's 50 slide feeder seem fairly uniformly negative.

Another question.  Is anyone familiar with the film scanning service
http://www.digmypics.com/ or with other such scanning services?  Do they
do a good job of producing professional quality scans at 4000+ dpi of 35
mm slides?  How safe is it to mail away my very best irreplaceble slides
to a service like this for scanning?
Dr. Paul Patton
Life Sciences Building Rm 538A
work: (419)-372-3858
home: (419)-352-5523
Biology Department
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is
the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art
and science."