[filmscanners] RE: white LED vs Cold cathode flourescent

The artixscan 4000 tf has the same light source as the Polaroid 4000 and
4000 plus units. I am not sure about the others

-----Original Message-----
From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Maurice Rickard
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:25 PM
To: Kapetanakis, Constantine
Subject: [filmscanners] white LED vs Cold cathode flourescent

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew how white LED light sources in film and
neg scanners (eg. Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 Mk II) compared with cold
cathode flourescent light sources (eg., Elite Mk I, and
Sprinstcan/artixscan 4000), when it comes to color fidelity.

I've been using a Spintscan 4000 until recently, which I've found to
have v good color fidelity (for slides anyway), but I'm thinking of
getting a more current alternative (eg. either of the Elites, or the
artixscan 4000tf).

I've had experience with the Nikon Coolscan V ED, with an RGB LED light
source, but this generally gives me raw scan colors that are too
saturated and which also err on the side of cyan, with a more noticeable
blue halo on image-object edges (more prominent than the sprintscan
anyway).

Any clues or advice appreciated

Maurice

title or body

--
This transmission is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and
may contain information that is proprietary, confidential and/or legally