[filmscanners] Re: CRT and flat panel thoughts

At 2:57 PM -0500 2/26/06, Unspecified [in this case, Paul S. Nielsen] wrote:

>CCFT = Cold Cathode Flourescent Tube.
>Basically use a long (width of display) flourescent tube (or 2, one at top
>and one at bottom) and then use a funky shaped piece of plastic to
>distribute the light across the full area of the display.  A long and wide
>"light pipe".

Thanks, Paul.

>As for TV and computer at the same time, I'm just a rank amateur
>(www.leopoldbratislav.pointclark.net/gallery/).  I have a no name wintel
>computer with 2 video cards.   I have a 19 inch LCD connected to the primary
>card and a 17 inch connected to the secondary card.  Any application can
>drag/drop onto either display except for the TV tuner that is on the primary
>card.  Thus, I can watch TV on the 19 inch while working on the other. Or
>using GIMP, simply have the menus on one screen while looking at the image
>on the other.  I'm quite pleased with the  TV on the 19 LCD.   When I move
>to my new apartment in a few weeks, it will be my only TV, perfectly
>suitable for me and my 10 YO son.  In a couple of months, I'll purchase a
>projector and connect it as well.  For day to day checking news, weather,
>local stuff, commodity TV, the 19 inch should be fine.  For special shows,
>flip the switch to the projector and watch it on the wall (I will  have a
>screen on the wall).
>The projector will be ceiling mounted (I don't want to sacrifice floor space
>- I'm moving from a 2.5 story house to a 2 BR apartment - stories later...).
>Oh yes, I'll also replace the 17 inch CRT with another 19 inch LCD.

You're expanding my horizons. And more imaginative; it never occurred
to me to use a projector. I think of a projection TV as being big and
bulky, and my quarters are smaller than yours are going to be.

>Plus, I can time shift TV shows (ie, in Toronto I get the Daily Show at
>midnight - I'd rather watch it the next day at an earlier time.
>
>One note - I hate the ATI software.  It is obtuse, user hostile, flaky and
>difficult to update.   I intend to try one of the other software
>alternatives soon and will provide feedback.

I have however heard that only ATI's cards support the rotation/pivot
feature on LCD's which will do it. But that was in the context of the
Mac's; I think I saw it on MacInTouch.com. I haven't tried to confirm
it, and I think Apple might, at least sometimes, cripple features
they don't support on what they bundle. Maybe someone has an nVidia
card which will pivot an LCD?
--
Sam