[filmscanners] Re: Nikon scanner availability

Poppy cock. As long as there are photographic *artists*, there will
be mono chrome emulsion shooting, even if no company chooses to
make film any longer.

I don't imagine that many photographic artists make much coin, but
Sally Mann's work is very popular, get's top marquee exhibitions and
her books are sold at common outlets like Borders.

Her recent "What Remains" project (exhibition and book) was shot on
glass plate negatives.

While I don't recall how she printed, there are folks coating their own
papers in palladium to make fine art contact prints, each one a thing of
beauty and a product of the hand crafting of the artist - hence collectible
by fine art afficionados - vs. the "infinite reproducibility" of digitally
"captured" "images" (I like my DSLR but really hate the new terminology).

There is even a movement to product 8x10 or 11x14 "digital internegatives"
from digitally captures images for final, fine art oriented
platinum/palladium/
cyanotype/etc. contact printing.

By hook or by crook, as it were, B&W shooting and printing will go on
for decades to come, long after the mini-mart C-41 machines are rusting
in dumps.

Can't speak for the consumer market, the photojournalists and so on -
but I don't really give a crap about them in the first place.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35