[filmscanners] Minolta Dimage Scan ELite 5400 II negative carrier slippage

Dear folks,

I am no longer able to scan negatives with my Scan Elite 5400 II
because the negative carrier often fails to be transported properly --
it seems that the teeth on the carrier are not being positively engaged.

Is anyone else having this problem?

The slide carrier, on the other hand, never fails.  I notice that the teeth
on the slide carrier are taller than those on the negative carrier.  This
could well explain why the latter is not being engaged properly.

You can see images of this at
http://pcullinan.smugmug.com/gallery/886648/1/40137501.

If anyone is using a Scan Elite 5400 or Scan Elite 5400 II, could they
please check their carriers for me to see if the teeth are of the same
height?  This could help me to get to a solution.

By the way, my scans show faint lines in the shadows.  These lines lie
in the direction in which the carrier is transported.  I've resigned myself
to this.  In my opinion, it's the kiss of death for any use of this scanner
for professional production.  I understand that half of the users of this
scanner get these lines, and another half either do not get them, or if
they do,
they either don't see them or don't feel like complaining.  The offending
lines can be seen at the web address given above.

Kindest regards,

Patrick Cullinan, Jr.
New York