[filmscanners] Re: 'Cheap' film scanner recommendations

This film scanner is receiving a lot of commentary.  My suggestion is
that anyone considering it be sure to read the FULL reviews about it to
better understand it's limitations and benefits.  I is certainly cheap,
and apparently high res, but it is not without major flaws.

It comes with Silverfast SE, which alone is worth the cost of the
scanner, but, keep in mind Silverfast is designed specific to one
scanner when it comes packaged with a scanner.

Just a few are issue with this scanner:

While the highest resolution scanner currently on the market, keep in
mind the specs often don't necessarily give you the full story of the
final output result.

Manual film advance... no batch scanning, you have to move the film
carrier into the unit and then for each scan.  The light source and
scanning element moves, while the film remains stationary.  Some older
Nikons used this same design.

Great on shadows, but blows out highlights, and has no way to adjust
exposure

Difficult to control color and no focus control, but the bright lighting
allows for high depth of field.  Will not accept thick slide mounts.

Very visible dust and grain and software provided tends to soften image.

Software only works on PC (Is XP compatible).

This is a very good scanner for people doing occasional scans where
batch scanning is unnecessary.  Due to the lighting, and resolution,
manual spotting will almost definitely be required.  Not good from
grainy film, unless you like grain visibility.

It is definitely good value, but be sure to read all the information to
see if the weaknesses are going to prove fatal for your needs or not.

Art