[filmscanners] Re: LCD vs CRT for image editing

With apologies to Tim Grey and his "Digital Darkroom", he makes a pretty
cogent comment that bears on your question.

"LCD monitors for digital imaging seem to be improving rapidly based on your
very positive comments regarding the Sony SDM-P234/B.  Knowing your past
like for ViewSonic products, would you be able to comment on the ViewSonic
VP231wb, especially compared to the Sony 23" and Apple 23" LCDs?

==========

LCD monitors have most certainly seen some significant advances over the
last few years, and as far as I'm concerned the very best LCD displays are
more than adequate for serious digital imaging work. Even if you want to
continue using a CRT display, those days are numbered since most
manufacturers have either already stopped making CRTs or have indicated they
likely will by the end of 2005.

I do love the Sony PremierPro 23" LCD display, use it for all my imaging
work, and highly recommend it. My understanding is that Sony makes the
displays for the Apple Cinema 23" LCD, and I consider the displays to be
identical, so I consider them equals in terms of quality. The ViewSonic
professional displays are also excellent, but I'd give Sony the edge here in
terms of quality. Of course, the Sony display is very expensive, so if
you're looking to keep your budget at a more reasonable level, ViewSonic is
definitely a brand I'd look at as an alternative, and I've been very happy
with their Professional line of displays. So, I would certainly be
comfortable using their latest 23" display as an alternative."