[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions

On 8/7/05, C Stirling <stirlingphoto@eco22.plus.com> wrote:
> Yes, and it seems impossible to find what the denaturing chemical is (about 30
> different ones can be used), again government restrictions.  Pure ethanol is
> only sold
> under licence.  Makes trying to find good pure chemicals very difficult.  The
> denatured
> has a colorant as well as the denaturing chemical.  The industrial methylated
> spirits is
> supposidly the best of poor choices in the UK.

Polish pure spirit at 80% is probably the easiest to get without a
licence. though I'd probably use something sold as a lens cleaner,
Calotherm do a coated lens cleaner , Calocoat in an atomiser and bulk
bottles, smells like it's 2-Propanol (ispropyl alcohol) based,
probably with some additives like EDTA.

btw: the service guys used to clean our Olympus microscopes with
liberal amounts of Mr Sheen. probably not the optics though.
--
Paul Roberts
mail@paul-roberts.com