[filmscanners] RE: HP PhotsSmart - questions

I do not have answers to the question of cleaning the internal optics,
mirror, or sensors; nor do I have an answer to why 150 dpi appears
sharper than 300 dpi when scanning a 3 x 5 color print.  I take it that
this is a flatbed scanner.

I would suggest the obvious with respect to cleaning.  You should start
by cleaning the glass bed with a soft lintless cloth and a little
Windex, being careful not to let any of the liquid run off the glass and
into the internal areas of the scanner.  As for the other parts, you
need to be careful not to scratch or leave lint on the surfaces of the
optics and mirror.  I suspect that one would also need to be careful
about what solutions one uses to make sure that they do not leave their
own film residue over the optics and mirror, don't contain anything that
will deteriorate the internal parts, and do not damage the electronic
components and elements.

As for the question of " why 150 dpi appears sharper than 300 dpi when
scanning a 3 x 5 color print," you did not tell us if the result you
speak of was on the monitor or on a hard copy print ( and if the latter,
what type of print laser, inkjet, etc.)  The answer to this could
furnish some indications of the reasons for this.