[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED

Mary,

I have the Coolscan V, also known as the LS-50.  The main differences are:

LS-5000 is somewhat faster

LS-5000 is 16-bit vs 12-bit on LS-50

LS-5000 has optional roll film adaptor vs film strips of 2 - 6 frames on
LS-50

LS-5000 has optional slide feeder for high volume scanning vs single slides
on LS-50

LS-5000 costs a lot more

I don't need high volume capability, so the LS-50 is fine for me.  I don't
know if the 16-bit vs 12-bit depth makes much difference in practice, but
theoretically it provides greater potential for dynamic range to be
recorded.  Maybe someone else would care to say more about this.

I think there may be some technical difference between the CCDs or in the
way they are used by the scanners, but I'll leave that to someone who knows
more about that.

I am happy with this scanner, which is way faster than my old Minolta Scan
Dual II.  The ICE is great!

Hope that helps,

Berry