[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED
  • From: "" <lists@lazygranch.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:38:04 -0700

I got a used scuba tank (steel), hose, regulator and nozzle for $80. The
regulator (or maybe valve is a better word) was rebuilt, but who
cares.It's not like my life depends on it.  I never had any trouble
getting a tank filled without a license, but I am obligated to meet all
tank inspections. Just a guess, but I'd say a full tank of scuba air is
about 10 cans of canned air.

Scuba air is just compressed air, filtered and dried. The compressor
uses a vegetable based oil so that if any oil gets into the air, it is
not hazardous. There is a special nitrogen/oxygen mix used for deeper
diving that does require diver certification. For just compressed air, I
think there are more people playing paintball with the air than doing
photography.

One trick to remember is not to completely empty your scuba tank. That
is, as the pressure gets low, you really need to get it refilled. If the
tank is emptied, I believe they have to inspect the tank for leaks,
which will cost.

This is one project I don't suggest getting on ebay. Those scuba tanks
are heavy, especially the cheap tanks. Better to get the gear used.
Scuba is like any other hobby, that is, people want to upgrade.

Vuescan costs more for the pro version with perpetual upgrades. Those of
us who got the software when there was only one version (I think it was
$45) got a free upgrade to the pro version., i.e. grandfathered in.

Patrick M. Florer wrote