[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon Supercoolscan 5000 ED
  • From: "" <lists@lazygranch.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:00:11 -0700

I scan mostly slides, but if I had to scan strips of film, the SS4000
(and the Artixscan version) film strip carrier would drive me nuts.

I remember on the old Leben scanner list that Nikon has some pricey
repairs on their scanners, so Polaroid isn't alone.

Unless the repair is minor, you are almost always better off upgrading
the hardware since you get newer technology. [Of course, if you had an
Immacon or some other high end scanner, this may not be the case.]

Regarding canned air, going to a scuba tank is a bit more cost
effective. I haven't tried using a welding tank, but that might be even
cheaper since scuba tanks need frequent inspections even if you are not
diving with the tank. The stream from the scuba tank is quite powerful,
and there is no refrigerant issue like you have with canned air. I do
find it annoying that the local scuba shops are going out of business
due to the poor economy. making it hard to get the tank filled.

I don't think you can ever get to "zero" on canned air expenses since
you should be blowing the dust off the film before putting it back in
the sleeve.

Patrick M. Florer wrote:

>Sorry about the $600!
>
>I had a similar situation, except that I didn't spend the $600 to try to fix
>my SS4000.  The SS4000 had developed bad pixels in the CCD sensor - Polaroid
>wanted $400 just to look at it, and more $$$ to fix, so I just junked it
>after 3 years, figuring that I had gotten plenty of value for what I paid.

<snip>