[filmscanners] Re: Compact Cameras

>So my question is this: have digital compacts reached the stage yet where
>they can give film compacts like the XA a run for their money on image
>quality?  I'd be interested in hearing any experiences list members may have
>on this.

As far as I can tell, for pixel counts, yeah, they can. 8.2 MP is enough for
a 300 dpi 8x12 print (approx).

As for dynamic range, nope. I think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
that most digicams (Fuji S3 excepted) have about an 8 stop range and are weak
on the highlights (Fuji is a 10 stop range) whereas film can have up to a 14
stop range and so you can get HDR (High Dynamic Range) much more easily with
film than you can with digicams (although with a tripod and exposure
bracketing you can get that too on a digicam)