[filmscanners] Re: Compact Cameras

From: <Al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk>

So my question is this: have digital compacts reached the stage yet where
they can give film compacts like the XA a run for their money on image
quality?  I'd be interested in hearing any experiences list members may have
on this.
<<<<<<<<<

The small-sensor cameras have been getting _worse_ as they pack more and
more pixels into smaller and smaller sensors. Things like the Sony S85 or
Canon G3 used to be pretty decent at ISO 100. Recent cameras tend to be
noisier at ISO 50 than the S85/G3 were at ISO 100. (One exception: the Canon
G5 was a real dog, but the G6 is quite a bit better.)

The new Canon 350D with, say, the 24/2.8 (functions like a 38mm lens) would
give the XA a run for the money (and kill the XA at ISO 800 or 1600) and not
be a lot larger. (The 350D + 24/2.8 weighs 590 + 270 or so grams.)

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan