[filmscanners] Re: Cheapo scanner for contact prints

Peter Marquis-Kyle wrote:

> I use an old Microtek ScanMaker III (similar to the Umax Powerlook 2).
> It was an
> ebay purchase too -- I won't say how much it cost (it would sound like
> bragging)
> but it was less than Tony paid

This week, I predict, e-Bay prices of old sometime-classy flatbeds with
10x8 film hoods will mysteriously increase due to a sudden demand... :)

The good thing about cannibalising a Paterson frame is that by overlaying
film edges it gets 6 strips of 6 35mm into the 10x8 scanning area. Not so
handy if yours are cut into 7's or 4's, of course. Ditto 6x6 in 3's, if
yours are in 4's. Just a bit of plain glass from a cheap picture frame
would be fine if you don't mind laying them out manually.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk