[filmscanners] Re: Cheapo scanner for contact prints

Tony Sleep wrote:
> Jeremy Nicholl wrote:
>> I urgently need to buy a cheapo scanner for making contact prints
>> from 120 format negatives

> It's probably possible to adapt other similar scanners with a 10x8 film
> lid, like some of the Agfa's. Microteks tend to have a 10x8" drawer, I
> dunno about them. I've been told they can handle 4mm glass but caveat
> emptor.

I use an old Microtek ScanMaker III (similar to the Umax Powerlook 2). It was an
ebay purchase too -- I won't say how much it cost (it would sound like bragging)
but it was less than Tony paid. It did need some cleaning inside and out, and
some lubrication, but it works just fine. I use Vuescan too.

I like Tony's idea of adapting a Patterson contact proofer. A quick and dirty
alternative is to leave the negs in their clear filing sheets for scanning -- I
have tried this with 35mm negs in archival quality sheets, and the results were
OK, sort of.

Peter Marquis-Kyle
www.marquis-kyle.com.au