[filmscanners] Autocropping (Was: Raw files in Vuescan)

At 11:13 AM -0700 8/25/04, Ed Lusby wrote:
[snip]
>Auto cropping remains to be a problem in vuescan. The problem seems to vary
>with scanner and certainly vuescan version, as Ed has made many recent
>attempts to improve auto cropping lately.  However, vuescan 8.0.4 remains
>the best version for me in terms of auto cropping with the LS5000.  When Ed
>changed the auto crop algorithm in 8.0.8 and 8.0.9, he improved filmstrip
>auto cropping significantly, which was his goal. However slide scanning
>autocropping was quite bad. In version 8.0.11 (or thereabouts) he made
>slide auto cropping better, but still not as good as 8.0.4.  One can deal
>with this situation in a couple of ways. You can either install the version
>best for your usage on a particular day, or you can try the various
>cropping options.
[snip]

Hello all,

Well, I finally got myself an LS5000 with a slide feeder (yahoo!),
and I'm working on learning how to use it.  Autocropping is one of
the things I'm trying to figure out, as my first pass led to scans
with black edges.

Ed, do you have suggestions about where to start when you suggest
"try the various cropping options"?

Should I try to obtain 8.0.4?

Should I use the software bundled with the scanner instead of vuescan?

Does anybody else have some other ideas?

My solution was going to be to mess with the settings semi-randomly,
and if that failed to resolve the problem, simply accept the black
edges and crop them out later.

Thanks,

Carlisle