[filmscanners] Re: Minolta 5400 & Photoshop CS: best way toscan

> 1.  Many scanner software permits the user to do multi-pass scans which may
> enable one to capture additional detail in the shadow areas of positive
> films or the highlight areas of negative films.
> 2.  Many scanner software packages have digital ICE3 provisions which rely
> on the scanner's hardware based infrared channel, which would otherwise not
> be available from progframs like Photoshop.

Yes, I'm not talking about these functions. These things are good, and the
multi-pass scan is a hardware function (albeit controlled by sw). I don't
know what ICE is, but I love it. If other sw can do a better "raw-scan" by
opening some secret hardware-level nirvana, what are the sw settings to do
so?

> 3.  With respect to color negative, scanner software frequently has
> facilities to remove the orange masking from color negatives which is not
> possible in the case of programs like Photoshop.

Well, I've removed it in Photoshop.

> In addition, I would use 16 bit linear or raw scans for the scanning of
> positive transparancies but not with color negatives since the 16 bit  scan
> does not permit one to eliminate the effect of the color negative's orange
> masking from the outputted file.

See above.

My guesses, and I'd love responses, of the Minolta software settings so to
get a 'raw' type scan are:

- 16bit linear (vs 16 bit)...and if you know the difference, let me know,
- don't know about about autoexposure vs manual,
- autofocus unless there's a problem
- don't know about multi-sampling
- don't know about color matching output space (adobe RGB?) and ICC
profiles
- Color neg: best to scan as neg or positive? If positive, invert in
PS?
- B/W neg: best to scan as neg or positive? If positive, invert in PS?
- Fuj chromes: no idea
- ICE on, at least with color neg.
- Grain dissolver off with color neg, don't know with b/w neg

Best,

David Carson
web: http://www.davidraycarson.com