[filmscanners] Re: Raw files in Vuescan

I believe incorrect cropping can lead to autoexposure problems. If there is
a significant area of black, for example, vuescan would tend to overexpose
the raw scan, resulting in clipped highlights. You might check your scans
for clipped highlights. If it's a small enough black area, it won't be
significant perhaps. Light areas around the actual picture area would be
expected to cause a loss of detail in the shadows.

Auto cropping remains to be a problem in vuescan. The problem seems to vary
with scanner and certainly vuescan version, as Ed has made many recent
attempts to improve auto cropping lately.  However, vuescan 8.0.4 remains
the best version for me in terms of auto cropping with the LS5000.  When Ed
changed the auto crop algorithm in 8.0.8 and 8.0.9, he improved filmstrip
auto cropping significantly, which was his goal. However slide scanning
autocropping was quite bad. In version 8.0.11 (or thereabouts) he made
slide auto cropping better, but still not as good as 8.0.4.  One can deal
with this situation in a couple of ways. You can either install the version
best for your usage on a particular day, or you can try the various
cropping options.

When scanning film strips, you should trim the leading edges of the strips
to be the same distance from the picture area for a scanner like the
LS5000, which feeds in the bare strip.  I much prefer the Minolta 5400 and
vuescan for film strips. The auto cropping is very good, perhaps because of
the use of a film strip cassette holder in this scanner.

Ed Lusby