[filmscanners] Re: not enough memory?

on 7/10/04 11:16 PM, Laurie Solomon at laurie@advancenet.net wrote:

> I am not familiar with how things work on Macs; but you might want to check
> the hard drive partition on which you have your operating system and printer
> spooler to make sure that it is unfragmented and that there is enough empty
> unused unfragmented space on that partition.  You might want to run a
> defragmenting program on that partition.  I would also suggest that 320 MB
> of hardware RAM is not really a whole lot of actual Physical RAM on the the
> Motherboard for graphics; you might want to turn the virutal memory back on.
> I would assume that with the OS using some of the RAM, and Elements using
> some of that RAM, and other possible programs trunning in background using
> some of that RAM, you may not have enough actual physical RAM left over to
> spool the file to the printer driver and then to the printer.  Remember that
> the printer spooler will be using a copy of the file which will be in
> addition to the temporary copy of the file being used by Elements and the
> original archived file stored on the hard drive.  If Elements works at all
> like Photoshop, the temporary version it uses will be stored in the scratch
> disk; but it may have to use actual hardware RAM if you have a small scratch
> disk or one that has run out of enough available unfragmented storage space
> on the hard drive.
>
> filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
>> Hello, if there's anybody out there.
>>
>> I have a problem using PS Elements 1.0.  I know there is a list for
>> PS, but maybe one of you folks can make this easy.
>>
>> I have a scanned image that is 17.6 MB.  I am trying to print it on
>> an Epson 2200, 13x19 @1440dpi.  I am getting an error after the
>> printer driver has initiated, prior to anything actually going out to
>> the printer, saying that there is not enough memory for this
>> operation, and to close any unused applications.
>>
>> There are no other applications open except for the Mac Finder.  I
>> have over 180 MB of unused memory available on my Mac G4, with a
>> total of 320 MB of hardware RAM.  Virtual memory is off, but it
>> shouldn't be needed, and I have not needed it before.  I have set the
>> preferred allocation of memory for PS Elements to 120 MB (it was at
>> 44 MB, but I upped it just to be sure that was not an issue.)
>>
>> Am I correct in assuming that the size of the file that is being
>> transmitted to the printer is 17.6 MB, which is the actual image file
>> size on the hard drive, and the same as reported in Elements?
>>
>> So what has changed?  I added some Epson 2200 profiles that I
>> downloaded from Epson, and I changed a setting or two in the print
>> setup in PS Elements.  But why should any of that matter?  I have
>> printed larger files on 13x19 before, so I am stumped.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Berry

> ---

> body

Okay, I turned on 990MB of virtual memory, giving me a huge unused block of
effective RAM, but to no avail.

As far as the hard drive having adequate unfragmented space on it, I don't
think that would be an issue because there is 18 GB of unused space on the
HD, and my Mac just "reindexed" the HD yesterday, which I believe is
Mac-speak for defragmentation.  Mac users, please let me know if this is
incorrect.

As for the Epson memory allocation, the extension file, called SP2200,
offers no memory control.  But the application program for the SP2200 is
called Epson Monitor 3 and it has a recommended memory allocation of only
about 2 MB.  That is so small that it seems to have nothing to do with the
image size, but I doubled the allocation anyway, and I will try that next.
If that doesn't work, I'll try increasing it more substantially.

~Berry