[filmscanners] Re: not enough memory?

on 7/11/04 1:04 AM, Major A at andras@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

>> I have a scanned image that is 17.6 MB.  I am trying to print it on an Epson
>> 2200, 13x19 @1440dpi.  I am getting an error after the printer driver has
>> initiated, prior to anything actually going out to the printer, saying that
>> there is not enough memory for this operation, and to close any unused
>> applications.
>
> My guess would be that the driver stores the entire rendered image in
> RAM before sending it to the printer. (This is technically not
> necessary and it would have been easy to render the image as it is
> sent without storing more than a few lines of it, but EPSON must have
> chosen the high way when writing the driver.)
>
> Printing 13x19 (inches I assume) at 1440dpi makes >500 million pixels,
> each of which contains 7 bits (each of the 7 colours is either printed
> or not), so the uncompressed rendered image sent to the printer is
> something like 448 MB. The driver compresses this before sending it to
> the printer, but with a very cheap and inefficient algorithm which
> doesn't actually save much space. So your 320 MB RAM don't seem that
> much after all.
>
>> There are no other applications open except for the Mac Finder.  I have over
>> 180 MB of unused memory available on my Mac G4, with a total of 320 MB of
>> hardware RAM.  Virtual memory is off, but it shouldn't be needed, and I have
>> not needed it before.  I have set the preferred allocation of memory for PS
>> Elements to 120 MB (it was at 44 MB, but I upped it just to be sure that was
>> not an issue.)
>
> Virtual RAM never hurts. Why turn it off in the first place?
>
>> Am I correct in assuming that the size of the file that is being transmitted
>> to the printer is 17.6 MB, which is the actual image file size on the hard
>> drive, and the same as reported in Elements?
>
> See above.
>
>> So what has changed?  I added some Epson 2200 profiles that I downloaded
>> from Epson, and I changed a setting or two in the print setup in PS
>> Elements.  But why should any of that matter?  I have printed larger files
>> on 13x19 before, so I am stumped.  Any ideas?
>
> Maybe you're just a few MB over the available RAM. Turn virtual memory
> on, that's my suggestion.
>
> Andras

> body

Thanks for the responses, although I still have not solved the problem.

The 1440dpi is a printer quality, not image file related.  Sorry about the
ambiguity.  I usually try to stick to ppi when referring to the image file.

I have 18 GB of unused hard drive space, and 180 MB of available RAM over
and above what is used by Mac OS 9.1 and PS Elements, the only open
application.  Now I will try turning virtual memory on at 990 MB.

I get back...have to restart the Mac.

Thanks again  ~Berry