From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Johnny Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 5:19 PM
To: snsok@cox.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: SS4000 again

At 10:49 PM 2/24/2004 +1000, Rob Geraghty wrote:

>I gather nobody on the list has attempted to clean the CCD of a SS4000?
>
>Rob

Hi Rob,

The following was posted in January of '03 on this List by Thomas
Maugham:

Summary of SS4000 cleaning discussion.

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY SCANNER NEEDS CLEANING? By opening the unit and
examining the optical mirror.  Or, if you want a preliminary idea of how
dirty the mirror may be before taking this step, look at the amount of
dust underneath your scanner.  If you do not use a dustcover, this is
likely to be a good indicator of how much dust may be on the optical
lens and mirror. (this is because the scanner has open holes and serves
as a dust collector, unless you have a dust cover)

HOW DO I OPEN THE UNIT FOR EXAMINATION AND CLEANING?  First, get the
scanner unplugged from the computer and out on a clear well lit table
where you can work on it.  Turn the scanner upside down, you will see
four plastic catches on the bottom sides near the corners.  A small flat
screwdriver can be used to pop open these catches.  Be careful not to
break them.  Once you have released the catches and have slid the top
off, you will see the mechanism. The top cover and main chassis will, of
course, still be connected by various wires. Connect the power cord to
the unit and press the power button
on.   The scanner will attempt to go through one cycle.  Be observant,
at
one point the optical mirror will be perfectly revealed.  It may take a
few tries to see how it works.  As soon as the mirror is perfectly
accessible, pull the power cord so it freezes in that position.

HOW DO I CLEAN THE OPTICAL MIRROR?  With compressed air.  Air comes in
two forms, a compressor or a can of dust-off available from camera
stores, etc. If you have compressor, set to about 40 lbs of air
pressure.  I recommend you use a medical compressor because it does not
have oil pistons. (Regular air compressors sold for general machine or
airbrush use have oil pistons, so make sure your compressor does not
emit tiny oil droplets out the nozzle)  If you use the canned air,
remember not to hold the can at an angle because some of these squirt a
liquid out if held at angles other than generally vertical.  Perhaps you
can put the scanner on it's side while blowing the dust away.  Another
suggestion for canned air is to put a downward bend in the tube that is
used to extend the nozzle, you can do this while slightly heating the
tube with a match.  Blow off the mirror and lens real good.

WHAT IT THE MIRROR NEEDS FURTHER CLEANING?  Then you need denatured
alcohol available from hardware or paint stores (which is NOT drugstore
isopropyl alcohol).  Use lens cleaning tissue, and put a little
denatured alcohol on the tissue.  Fold the tissue over and drag it
across the mirror using no pressure.  Do not get the alcohol on plastic
parts or let it get behind the mirror, or let it drip all over
everything.  Use each tissue only once and discard.

WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP THE UNIT IN GOOD CONDITION?   make a plastic
dustcover.  Or, put it in a plastic bag when not using it.  Anything to
keep dust from getting into it is a good thing.

This is not authorized factory service information.   I am not qualified
do anything, I have no education, I don't know anything.  These are
practical suggestions for do-it-yourselfers and are based on my personal
experience of doing it.  My remarks about cleaning the mirror come from
questioning a life-long camera repairman.   I have no factory training
or
information.  There are many people on this list who are scanner
scientists and mechanics and can probably offer better information, so
let's hope to hear from them.

Later,
Johnny