[filmscanners] Another lurker seeking advice

Hello,

Another lurker jumps in!

I've been following the answers to Ed Lusby's question about
Kodachrome, the Nikon 5000 and bulk loaders.

I have a similar series of question, but with a different emphasis:

As near as I can tell, the Nikon line is the only one with a bulk
loader for slides.  Is this true?  If not, what are the alternatives?

I gather that the Nikon bulk loader is (was?) prone to jam, but that
there are fixes involving shims.  However, I haven't seen the
specific fix described in detail.  Could somebody please point me to
the fix?  Also, additional commentary on the jamming problem would be
welcome.

Has anybody seen any reviews that compare the Nikon 5000 with its
predecessors?  I.e., are there significant improvements, or would one
be just as well served by buying a 4000, since the price on these is
sure to drop as they are replaced by the newer model?

A little about what I want to do:

I've got a ton of 35 mm Ektachrome slides, and I'd like to get them
into digital format.  I don't want to spend a lot of time loading
them one-at-a-time into the scanner--thus the interest in the bulk
loader.  Also, I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing the
scanning, so some degree of speed would be nice.  I realize that the
more you ask of a scan, the longer it takes, but I'm willing to forgo
lots of processing on the first pass in order to simply get them
scanned and in a system where I can then index and organize them.  If
I then want a good scan, I can always go back.  Nonetheless, if I can
get really good scans on the first pass without sacrificing too much
time, all the better.  Does this strategy seem reasonable?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Carlisle Landel
Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA