[filmscanners] RE: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sun 22 Feb, 2004

Petru...Thanks for your response.  I looked at your Black and White sample
from your website..though I have to admit I looked at it in the web browser
as opposed to in Photoshop.  While it looks to me that Neat Image did a nice
job removing grain it also looked to me like there was also a loss in image
sharpness in  the eyes and hair.  I am not sure if those images were already
sharpened or not.  What do you think, having printed them?

Howard

>How effective are products like Grain Surgery, Neat Image and Noise Ninja
at
>removing what appears to be film grain after sharpening images scanned at
>4000 ppi.

So far my experience with Neat Image has been very good. For an example
see the paragraph that talks about b&w scans on my web page:
http://www.geocities.com/petru2/scanner/

Note that this sample is not the best of the best but it should give you
an idea. BTW, I think that the NeatImage filter should be applied before
sharpening the image. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think I read
this in the user manual.

>My 35mm film is scanned on a Polaroid SS4000 Plus and taken on
>Velvia and Provia...so the film is fine grained.  But I still find the
grain
>I see after scanning and processing as objectionable when I am making large
>inkjet prints to 13x19 inches.

Wow, I find my SS4000 Provia 400 scans to be very smooth compared to my
negative scans. I wonder how you will like the grain from samples above :)

Regards,
Petru.