[filmscanners] RE: Better DOF than Nikon?

> From: Laurie Solomon
>
> "crooked" and "warp" slides?  Paul what on earth are you doing
> with criminal
> and crazy slides?  But in all seriousness, if they are as bad as
> described,
> I do not see the concern about loss of quality and newtonian rings that
> might result from putting them in glass slide mounts since they probably
> have already lost detail and information.  I would think the idea would be
> to try and salvage what one could from them.  At any rate, I am going to
> make an off handed recommendation, which may or may not e worth
> the time and
> effort or even be possible.  Why not scan them in using a sheet of
> anti-newtonian glass on top of them at the same size and at as high a
> resolution as you can with a flatbed scanner; once you have them
> digitalized
> and even tweaked in Photoshop, print them out via film recorder
> to new 35mm
> slides or even 6x7cm transparencies, if you would like to archive
> the saved
> images on film as well as digitallly?  I realize that the resolutions even
> with upsampling will not be all that great as to allow large enlargements;
> but I doubt that the quality of the originqals are not good
> enough to serve
> as a basis for getting something better at a large enlargemetn even if you
> were drum scanning them.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to digitize
these slides without having to do a lot of individual work on each one. If I
could find a scanner for $1500 or less that had a DOF of better than a
millimeter, I'd jump at the opportunity, because it would save me having to
remount each individual slide. If I can't find a scanner like that today,
then I'll just leave them in a box until some time in the future when I can.

Austin recommended the Leaf 45, which I could probably afford used. It may
be the ticket, although it looks about the size of a small drill press. ;-)

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco