[filmscanners] RE: Better DOF than Nikon?

Paul,

I must be missing something. I gathered that many if not most were in such
bad condition that they would require a lot of individual work after being
dgitalized whether it is by a film scanner at higher resolutions or a
flatbed scanner at lower resolutions.  Are you now saying that the major
defect on many if not all the slides is basically that they are warped  (
not charred or otherwise damaged.  Given the way things are advancing, I am
not sure that we will see any further significant advances in scanners
although it is true the cost of those that currently exist may come down in
price and used ones definitely will come down within that price range as we
move more and more into digital cameras.  This brings to mind an alternative
suggestions.  Why not rephotograph the slides with a digital camera?  Surely
they must have more depth of filed than 1 mm and would be well within your
price range.

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
>> From: Laurie Solomon
>>
>> "crooked" and "warp" slides?  Paul what on earth are you doing with
>> criminal and crazy slides?  But in all seriousness, if they are as
>> bad as described, I do not see the concern about loss of quality and
>> newtonian rings that might result from putting them in glass slide
>> mounts since they probably have already lost detail and information.
>> I would think the idea would be to try and salvage what one could
>> from them.  At any rate, I am going to make an off handed
>> recommendation, which may or may not e worth the time and effort or
>> even be possible.  Why not scan them in using a sheet of
>> anti-newtonian glass on top of them at the same size and at as high
>> a resolution as you can with a flatbed scanner; once you have them
>> digitalized and even tweaked in Photoshop, print them out via film
>> recorder to new 35mm slides or even 6x7cm transparencies, if you
>> would like to archive the saved images on film as well as
>> digitallly?  I realize that the resolutions even with upsampling
>> will not be all that great as to allow large enlargements; but I
>> doubt that the quality of the originqals are not good enough to
>> serve as a basis for getting something better at a large enlargemetn
>> even if you were drum scanning them.
>
> The main thing I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to
> digitize these slides without having to do a lot of individual work
> on each one. If I could find a scanner for $1500 or less that had a
> DOF of better than a millimeter, I'd jump at the opportunity, because
> it would save me having to remount each individual slide. If I can't
> find a scanner like that today, then I'll just leave them in a box
> until some time in the future when I can.
>
> Austin recommended the Leaf 45, which I could probably afford used.
> It may be the ticket, although it looks about the size of a small
> drill press. ;-)
---