[filmscanners] Re: Better DOF than Nikon?

Hi,

I've hesitated to suggest this as it seems extreme, but from the discussion,
it seems that extreme measures are needed.  What I am suggesting would
maintain whatever quality remains and will preserve the slides as well

It's hard to say if this would work, but I think it is worth a try.

Basically, mount the transparencies as if they were microscope slides (but
on the glass for glass mounted slides - not microscope slides).  Don't use
anti-newton glass - no newton rings if there is a medium between the slide
and glass making the contact.  There are two possibilities, if you can, put
the medium on the slide, and (perhaps using another glass slide) put enough
pressure to force the slide flat (or nearly flat) with a clamp.  The
difficulty is to avoid sticking the second glass to the transparency - to
avoid having the medium spread so far that it comes through the sprocket
holes.  At one time the medium would have been Canada balsam - a little
yellow but easily corrected for - I don't recall the name of the currently
used mounting medium, but it has less yellow.  To the extent that you can
get this to work with only one glass, this would be easier - if you find
that you can't get it to work with only one glass, using mounting medium on
both sides and making a sandwich would ultimately be possible for the most
distorted.

You may not be able to get the slides perfectly flat, but flat enough to
work with. The key would be to have enough of the medium between the slide
and the glass so that there are no glass/film/air places (newton rings being
the result of interference resulting from light being reflected from
film/air & glass/air surfaces).  The other problem is in putting the slides
down on the glass with absolutely no bubbles - that probably means a lot of
mounting medium.

 A bunch a of cheap small "C"-clamps are a lot less expensive than another
scanner, the major trick might be in determining how much force can be
applied before the glass break. (of course you want to protect all glass
from marks from the clamp).

While this seems extreme, I know that if this had happened to some of my
grandfather's slides (from the 1930's & 1940's), I would be glad to put in
this effort for even several hundred slides.

Good luck - and if you do try this, please let us know how it goes.

Brad

        "Fear most the heedless among you." - Inuit Proverb