[filmscanners] RE: Ink-jet Print File Resolution; was: Pixels and Prints

Hi Preston,

> Bob Frost (I believe it was) advocated sending 360ppi or 720ppi files to
> a 720dpi desktop inkjet printer. It certainly makes intuitive sense that
> on a 720dpi printer, a 720ppi file would work best.

Why you want to send the Epson, specifically, desktop printers 720 is
because they interpolate/decimate the image you send it TO 720PPI (not DPI)
prior to dithering, using a rather rudimentary interpolation, and perhaps
horrible decimation, method.  If you sent it the image, using a better
"scaling" (interpolation or decimation) method, theoretically, you could get
a better resultant image printed.

It does make sense, as you say, that the 720 is an "even multiple" of the
printer DPI resolutions of 360/720/1440/2880...and certainly that is one of
the reasons they rescale the image to 720...but that doesn't mean it'll
print at 720, it will print at any of it's native resolutions using the 720
prior to dithering.

> Are there some
> other sources (besides Members Magic Eyes) that cite this?

This was stated by Epson that they resample to 720 for the desktops and 360
for the large format printers.

Regards,

Austin