[filmscanners] Applied Science Fiction is Now Kodak?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Applied Science Fiction is Now Kodak?
  • From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 03:48:24 -0700

 From the news release I just received, it would appear Kodak has
indicated its intent to "acquire" Applied Science Fictions technologies.

It seems they are very interested in the fast processing kiosks that
scan partially developed film with a proprietary process, and then
produce digital scans written to CD.

Further interpretation leads me to believe that basically ASF was unable
to raise enough public capital and needed to be "bought" by someone with
deeper pockets.  Kodak is a perfect company for that, because they need
new technologies to keep film alive for the average Joe, who is moving
toward digital cameras, which greatly cuts Kodak out of the "picture"
(excuse the pun) once the camera is bought.

Kodak will keep on the 80 employees at ASF, an they will remain in
Austin Texas, but they will be part of Kodak's business image division.

I'm sure this is good news for ASF, but it is a pity the name will
probably go.  After all, a name like "Applied Science Fiction" probably
took a long time to come up with, and its a great name.

I just hope Kodak doesn't go for one of its past techniques of buying
technologies and then, before it has a chance to fully catch on, they
dump the whole thing due to cost of promotion.

Ektaprint, 8mm Video, Videotape, Photo CD, Photo CD players, Instant
Film Cameras, Disc and Instamatic format films, consumer film scanners,
picture database software, just to name a few...

Art