[filmscanners] RE: Scanning old slides

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Scanning old slides
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:06:36 -0600

I agree that using a scanner with Digital ICE is a good idea. ;)

I would use the Digital ICE software from the manufacturer. Here is my
experience with Digital ICE and Kodachrome. The first thing Digital ICE does
is create a defect map by using an infrared scan in the film scanner. That
is why it is only available with certain scanners, they must have IR
capabilities. The problem with Kodachrome is that SOMETIMES there is a
problem with when scanning the cyan layer with IR. The defect map creation
is sometimes confused by the cyan layer, showing defects where there are
none. With other film types, this is not a problem.

Next, Digital ICE uses the defect map to repair parts of the scan where film
defects, dust, dirt, fingerprints, scratches, etc. affect image quality.
Where the defect map is inaccurate around high densities in the cyan layer,
there is a loss of detail.

However, with most of the Kodachrome scans I make, it is difficult or
impossible to see this loss of detail. If there is a problem, I either scan
the image without Digital ICE or if it has a lot of surface defects I scan
it once with Digital ICE on and again with it off. I then restore the lost
detail by combining the two images (on different layers) with a mask,
recovering the detail where it is important and taking advantage of the
automatic correction everywhere else.

Good luck with your project.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction