[filmscanners] Re: Color Management System and NikonScan3.1.2(PC)

Ed, almost all of my films are Velvia or Provia 100F - they both have very
different color renditions but that's something I can manage within
Photoshop. Since many of my scanning is going to pre-printing I have
defined Adobe98RGB as the standard working space in my Photoshop copy; you
can set that in the "color adjustment" option from the Edit menu (or
shortcut Ctrl+Shft+K)

I still am a beginner in scanning. That said, I feel it was worth to
profile the scanner. The Nikon driver often yielded odd color shifts that
were time consuming to get dealt with in Photoshop. I especially recall an
image of an rose leaf cutter worm, where the subtle green tones of the leaf
were almost posterized and had an additional blue cast.

I spent hours trying to guess what wa happening until I tested VueScan on
that same slide and the result was far better - which BTW is a common
experience here. Since embedded profiles for hardware were all the apparent
difference to Nikon's driver, and I didn't like much VueScans interface, I
decided to follow some profiling process. It was quite easy because CMS
software is very well documented and easy to use. The most painful was the
bill (74 euro!!!!) for the IT8 target anyway.

One of my colleagues here in Spain has the same scanner but follows a
slightly different approach: he once took a dozen Velvia slides and scanned
them on a repetitive basis while working curves, until he found a pleasant
overall layout for the three colors. He then saved that as a configuration
for Velvia to be applied to every Velvia he scans. He has made the same
thing for his other films; he leaves Nikon color management ON (and AFAIK,
he doesn't mind much about the specific space).

Roger Eritja
www.eritja.com