[filmscanners] RE: JPEG2000 > Paul

Indeed, fnordware.com 's plug-in is very slow. Maybe because 1) he didn't
use kakadu, 2) he did mess something up, 3) the plug-in mechanism of PS is
slow (no idea how exactly this works). I know that kakadu is fast. On my
machine I can compress a 53MB 24-bit image in 12 sec from HD to HD at 1:10
resulting in a 5.3MB j2k file. On a second try it takes only 8 seconds. On a
second try with lossless compression it takes 16 seconds resulting in a 26MB
file.

>I also checked pixel variations between JPEG and J2K for various
>compressions, and found it hard to draw any conclusions - I wasn't bowled
>over by the improvement of J2K over ordinary jpeg, and the speed difference
>is astoundingly in favour of jpeg.

Regarding compression ratio j2k isn't much of an improvement over jpeg at
low compression ratios. j2k is great if you need high compression ratios,
progressive or local decoding, bit depths of more then 8 bits, lossless
compresison, etc. (baseline) jpeg cannot compete with that.

>But it would take me a long time to resave all those
>files using this plugin.

Don't use a plug-in to do that. Try http://www.irfanview.com/ which allows
batch processing/conversion. I haven't tried their j2k implementation,
though. You can also use kakadu and create a script for batch processing.

> I will try the commercial versions and see if the
>speed is good enough on my system.

You might also try www.leadtools.com, www.pegasusimaging.com, www.aware.com
(not sure if they have a plug-in but they use kakadu),
www.morgan-multimedia.com (they have plug-ins but maybe not for PS).

Robert