[filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?
  • From: "Nagaraj, Ramesh" <Ramesh.Nagaraj@ca.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:53:53 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mats Petersson [mailto:mats.petersson@btconnect.com]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 11:42 AM
To: Nagaraj, Ramesh
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good
asitgets?

At 03:15 PM 1/27/2003, you wrote:
>One problem with scanner, at-least for me, is I had to do a lot of colour
>correction.
>Since photography is not my profession, I had to read a lot about it.
>Even with all these effort, colour correction takes lot of time and I am
>not satisfied with my SKILL.
>I think something needs to be done to improve this, may be by providing
>film/slide profile for
>each film/slide. Except for this I am very happy with Film-Scanner
>combination and will
>continue for another 2 years.
>
>I have not used any DSLR. Does DSLRs produce accurate colours?

>>Maybe... It depends a lot on what you mean by "accurate colours". Our eyes
>>are very adoptable, so we think that a white paper in slightly yellow light
>>(tungsten lamps for instance) is "white", at the same time as the same
>>white paper looks white outdoors in a snow-clad landscape. If you were to
>>analyze the colour of that in the different situations, the latter is quite
>>blue and the former quite yellow. But our brain automatically adjusts the
>>colour to resemble white in both instances. A camera (or piece of film,
>>really) is not going to adjust itself, it gets hit by photons at certain
>>wavelengths, which activates certain pgiments in the film, which gives the
>>colour it gets.

This makes sence. Explains some of the slight colour shifting.

>>The same applies to a CCD (or any other photo-electric device that "cares"
>>about colours). So the colour of the Digital camera will depend on the
>>incoming light.

>>Now, guessing from the way you describe it, it may be that you have a
>>different problem, which is that you're scanner (or rather the software
>>you're using with it) is not white-balancing to your taste, and the colour
>>is off in some way when you see the prints on screen or printed. Different
>>scanners have different software.

I am not complaining about slight color shift; I can correct this.
I am more bothered about large colour shifts.

I use Minolta Elite II. I have tried with both Vuescan & Minolta s/w.
My problem is while scanning negatives, especially Kodak, colours are way off.
Some time, I will not able correct at all and have to give up on it.
So, bottom line is I am not able do justice to the my original negatives &
the effort which I have put to take those photos.
This inability to get good colours may be due to "Scanner"  or "s/w"
or "my poor colour correction skill".

Thanks
Ramesh